A high school education can open doors for jobs, school and training. Improving skills through education helps in everyday life and sets a good example for friends and family members. For adults, the idea of going back to school can be overwhelming. People who have been out of school for a short (or long) time may need a little extra support to help them along their way.
“The Never Too Late program allowed me to continue working full time while attending classes in the evenings. Catholic Family Service’s staff were always there to support me when I needed it. Now that I have my GED, I have the opportunity to further my career in the medical field.”
Catholic Family Service’s Never Too Late program provides no-cost academic, social and emotional support to adult learners who want to complete their GED (General Education Development or high school equivalency).
Never Too Late participants meet two evenings each week for 3 hours/night over a period of four and a half months, with access to volunteer tutors outside of class time. The Never Too Late Coordinator works side-by-side with participants to identify and overcome any barriers to completing their GED. The results: improved self-esteem, confidence, participation in community and higher success rates for adults who write the GED exam.
By The Numbers
- Never Too Late made a significant change in participant’s employment or educational status (40%). Half of those previously unemployed were able to find employment.
- 58% increased their income after graduating from Never Too Late – and did so by an average of $17,000
- 50% reported a decrease in need to use the food bank
- 36% indicated they are more comfortable helping their children with school work
- 70% of participants felt that by completing Never Too Late they had positively influenced other members of their family or friends
The Never Too Late Program is offered in two locations in Calgary.
Our Lady of the Assumption School for residents of Bowness, Montgomery, Greenwood Village, Silver Springs and Ranchlands. For more information, contact Cate Rippon at 403.612.4026, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Father Lacombe High School for residents of the Greater Forest Lawn area: Forest Lawn, Forest Heights, Erinwoods, Dover, Penbrooke Meadows, Southview and Albert Park/Radisson. For more information, contact Amanda Clearwater at 403.604.7418, email@example.com.
250, 707 – 10 Avenue SW Calgary, AB T2R 0B3
Main Office Hours
Monday: 8:30AM – 5:00PM
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 8:30AM – 8:00PM
Friday: 8:30AM – 4:30PM