When times are tough, most people think that to get help, they need to sign up for a number of sessions over a period of time, and build a relationship with a specific counsellor. We are so used to going deep into our feelings, taking as much time as we need, and telling our whole story, that it seems counter intuitive to say – less can actually be enough.
The feedback however has shown that, much good can come from something much briefer, and that even seeing someone you don’t know each time can work some brief, solution focused magic.
Catholic Family Service offers Rapid Access Counselling which can give immediate relief, and immediate access with no wait list. Our own outcomes research found that 85% of clients reported that their degree of hopelessness, anxiety and distress was reduced as a result of their participating in just one single session appointment.
With a focus on ease of access, Catholic Family Service’s online tool means anyone can book a single session at a time that is convenient. Just click, book and connect. All that is required are a few simple questions answered to create a profile. And, if you feel comfortable providing more information, then you have that option too.
Fees for all our counselling programs continue to be, pay what you can afford. We are committed to serve anyone who seeks our service and we are trained to address a wide range of issues. Everyone is welcome – we serve people of all ages, faiths, cultures and backgrounds.
Our counsellors include Masters Students, Interns, Social Workers, Psychologists and Certified Counsellors. You can access single session counselling any time you feel you would benefit from a supportive, change-focused conversation.
Our Engagement and intake Team are always available to provide you with additional advice, coaching, support and information about other services that we offer and ones in the community. Our goal is to offer something of value to everyone who invests their time in contacting us.
- All of our services are pay what you can afford. We allow you to determine the fee based on your own situation, up to $185 per session maximum, no minimum.
- Any family member who is an independent adult or for whom you have the legal right to consent to counselling for.
- Our Affordable Counselling Services are located at our downtown office at #250, 707- 10 Ave SW, Calgary. We are a 4-5 block walk from several LRT/CTrain stations on 7th Avenue SW (8th street or 7th street). The nearest bus stops include those for routes 107 and 112, the 13 and 90, and route 18.
- We have a variety of experienced counsellors from many backgrounds including Master’s level students, Social Workers, Certified Counsellors, and Provisionally and Fully Registered Psychologists. All of our counsellors receive regular supervision, consultation, training and support from Catholic Family Service, and are carefully chosen to work with our clients.
- If you have employee benefits, it is likely that our services are covered under the provision for counselling or psychological services. Contact your benefit provider directly to find out what kind of coverage you have, and how they will reimburse you, since we do not direct-bill. Some useful questions you may want to ask are:
- What kind of counselling services are covered by my health benefits?
- How much coverage is there per year/per session?
- Are there any restrictions I should know about?
- You do not need to have employee benefits to access counselling at Catholic Family Service.
- Stalls 64-70 across from the main west door are free, just sign in when you check in at reception.
- Catholic Family Service approves the use of online secure video services with end-to-end encryption for use with counselling clients. These are Facetime, Zoom, and What’s App.
- None of our clients or therapists are required to have a Catholic background, or any religious affiliation. We welcome anyone and everyone.
If there are any minors (under 18) attending counselling, all legal guardians will need to provide signed consent before that minor may participate in counselling.
These one-time 75 minute appointments are aimed at resolving a current stressor, or gaining direction with an ongoing problem.
Clients can book single session counseling appointments whenever they need access to a supportive, change-focused conversation. The booking page allows client to have one booked appointment at a time. After the scheduled appointment has been attended or the date/time has passed, the client may book another session. Change-focused conversations can have a big impact, and we encourage clients to allow time to apply what they took from their conversation before booking another single session appointment.
Our single-session program is aimed at having a timely, change-focused conversation with a supportive counselor. While it is not intended as a long-term counseling relationship with one counsellor, clients may book any available appointment in the booking calendar and may choose to book with the same provider for future single sessions. Clients may also value fresh perspectives and the opportunity to have single sessions with different counsellors.
You can just show up and our reception staff will provide you with the necessary paperwork. If you want a head start you can complete consents and a pre-session questionnaire and bring them with you which you will automatically receive by email when you book a session using our Online Booking Page.
Just click on the link: https://www.cfs-ab.org/what-we-do/mental-health-wellbeing/rapid-access-counselling/.
You can reach our Engagement team at 403.233.2360 or email us email@example.com
250, 707 – 10 Avenue SW Calgary, AB T2R 0B3
Main Office Hours
Monday: 8:30AM – 5:00PM
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 8:30AM – 8:00PM
Friday: 8:30AM – 4:30PM
FOR IMMEDIATE CRISIS COUNSELLING OR AFTER HOURS EMERGENCIES, contact the Calgary Distress Centre 24 hour Crisis Line at (403) 266-HELP (4357).
Yes, you can start a conversation with us today . . .