Having a baby and going to school can be tough. Catholic Family Service helps break down barriers to education for pregnant and parenting teenagers and young adults attending Louise Dean Centre, a high school operated by the Calgary Board of Education.
We offer on-site child care and a caring team of early childcare educators, social workers and trained professionals to help you. We are there every step of the way as you finish your education and build a better future for yourself and your baby.
Louise Dean Centre is a place where:
- You can finish high school at your own pace.
- Your baby is only steps away in our accredited Parent-Child Learning Centre. If you qualify, this on-site child care is provided at no cost to you.
- You will benefit from individual counselling support while you attend school and for up to 18 months after you finish Grade 12.
- We can help you access professional health care through our partnership with Alberta Health Services.
- We provide bus passes and other resources to help you get to school.
- Financial support is available through the Strengthening Hope Learners Benefit.
- While you earn credits towards a high school diploma, you can also attend a variety of life skills classes and parenting programs designed to help you become the best mom you can be.
- Your family is welcome. We encourage the father of your child, your parents and other family members to attend fun and relaxing evening events at the Centre.
- All of our counselling and life skills programs are provided at no cost to you.
Thinking about attending Louise Dean Centre? Please contact Jenna MacRae, Intake Coordinator, Counselling & Social Support Services, at 403.777.7635 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fathers Moving Forward Program
A father’s involvement means the world to a baby. Catholic Family Service offers support and parenting education to young fathers aged 16 – 26 at Louise Dean Centre. Fathers Moving Forward supports young dads or dads-to-be to:
- Be involved, hands-on parents.
- Co-parent effectively with the mother of their child – whether they are a couple or not.
- Be positive role models in the lives of their child(ren).
Who is eligible? Dads and dads-to-be of an infant whose mother is currently registered at the Louise Dean Centre, a resident at High Banks, or connected to agencies affiliated with the Healthy Babies Network. Fathers Moving Forward is also available to young dads who attend the Calgary Achievement Centre for Youth. Community referrals to the program are welcome.
For more information, contact Tyler Robinson, Fathers Moving Forward Coordinator, at 403.205.8505 or email@example.com.
Healthy Babies Network
Coordinated by Catholic Family Service, the Healthy Babies Network brings together over 20 agencies to ensure quality pre- and post-natal care for women who may face barriers to healthy pregnancies. Within the network, members may access provisions such as vitamins, groceries and/or bus tickets to address financial barriers.
Our registered dietitians provide clinical assessment, referral and consultations to member agencies and their clients. This function is provided one-on-one, in groups, and through workshops.
Who is eligible? Pregnant and parenting women with children up to the age of 12 months who are at risk of having a low birth weight baby including immigrant women, Indigenous women, adolescent women and women who have had a previous low birth weight baby.
For more information, contact Marie Weingartshofer, Coordinator, Healthy Babies Network, at 403.205.8551 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Calgary Achievement Centre for Youth (CACY)
Catholic Family Service offers drop-in child minding and parenting support to pregnant or parenting youth age 15 – 24 who attend programs at the Calgary Achievement Centre for Youth (CACY) at 315 10 Avenue SE. CACY offers an alternative high school operated by the Calgary Board of Education and a Youth Employment Centre that provides employment and career counselling services offered by the City of Calgary.
For more information, contact Amy St. Jean, Supervisor, at 403.205.8511 or email@example.com
About the Louise Dean Centre
The Louise Dean Centre is a partnership between Catholic Family Service, Calgary Board of Education and Alberta Health Services. Louise Dean Centre provides expecting and parenting teens, their children and families with educational and health care support, as well as helping them deal with the emotional and social needs that come with pregnancy and parenting.
Louise Dean Centre Address
120 – 23 Street NW, Calgary, AB T2N 2P1
Louise Dean Centre Hours
Monday to Thursday: 8:30AM – 5:00PM
Friday: 8:30AM – 4:30PM